Province of Piacenza. Welcome to the Official Tourist Information SiteScudo Piacenza

ANCIENT PARISH CHURCH

Churches, baptistries
via Chiesa Vecchia
Description
Vernasca's ancient church is in a panoramic position over the river Arda and is traditionally recalled as Pieve (parish Church).It is dedicated to San Columba and is adjacent to the castle, built around the year 1000, though no trace remains of it. The parish Church was built in the 12th century. The originary structure isn't easily recognizable, while the rearrangements of the 18th century can be better appreciated. One of the priests once responsible for the church tells the building had three naves, separated by three pillars for each side. The main altar is decorated with 6 wooden candlesticks on the first step and 6 brass candlesticks on the second one. The parish church was deserted due to the construction of a new church in the village lower part; moreover, the landslips and a fire occurred in 1925 caused the progressive ruin of the building. Only some decorative friezes coming from the access arch to the apse have been preserved: they look like medallions (representing saint evangelists or apostles) with flower and vegetable decorations. They probably date back to the end of the 15th and the first half of the 16th century. 
Telephone
Comune di Vernasca tel. +39.0523.895223
How to get there
In the village centre. Parking in Vittoria Square, a few metres from the parish church
Information Office
Last update
Thursday, 21 March 2019
News and information edited by the Tourist Information Office of the Municipalities of Bobbio, Borgonovo V.T., Castell'Arquato, Piacenza and Vigolzone