Province of Piacenza. Welcome to the Official Tourist Information SiteScudo Piacenza

SAN GIORGIO CASTLE

Piazza Torrione n.4
Description
The fortress, that underwent many modifications throughout the centuries, has a square plan and an only tower in the front side; the entrance is at the basement of the tower and is surmounted by a wooden balcony.
Apparently it was built at the end of 1200, although ancient documents attribute it to canonicals from Piacenza; according to these documents it should have been built in the 10th century as a defense against Hungarian incursions.
It has recently become a cultural centre, since it has been purchased by the council after the extinction of the owners.
Among the war episodes concerning Nure Valley's castles, one took place in 1799 and concerned S. Giorgio and Montanaro castles and involved the French and Austrian armies.

San Giorgio castle was destroyed and burnt for the first time in 1090 by the popular party fighting against the nobles and hidden here to escape from town; it was burnt for the second time in 1242 by the armies of Cremona and Bergamo, lead by Marquis Lancia .After the extinction of the Ceresa family in 1978 it has been bought by S. Giorgio's council, which has restored it and made a cultural centre out of it.

HEADQUARTERS OF THE MUNICIPALITY, THE LIBRARY AND THE CONFERENCE HALL
Telephone
+39.0523.870997 / +39.0523.370711
Weekday
Closed to the public (current headquarters of municipal offices and library)
How to get there
Parking in the centre, central bus stop. Parking lot close, bus stop at mt.50, lift for the disabled.
Disabled access
accessible
Information Office
Last update
Tuesday, 05 March 2019
News and information edited by the Tourist Information Office of the Municipalities of Bobbio, Borgonovo V.T., Castell'Arquato, Piacenza and Vigolzone